What are you driving?

I learned to sew as an eleven year old on my mom’s Singer.  As a twenty-something, my parents gave me a Kenmore which served me well for many years as I made my own clothes and eventually sewed for my children. When I was bit by the quilting bug in the late 90’s, I spent my permanent fund dividend on my first really good machine.  Here in this town, serious sewers are split into two camps – Viking and Bernina.  I bought a Viking because that was the brand my quilting teacher swore by.  Eleven years of non-stop studio art quilting later, I wore out her free-motion ability and purchased another Viking.   
It took several months of tearful frustration to get used to the differences in my new machine, but eventually we bonded and now I wouldn’t trade her for the world – for my free motion work.  
I do all my piecing on the little Singer Featherweight a friend sold me when she found another Featherweight at a garage sale in Juneau and couldn’t justify keeping both.  


My sewing set-up - I invested in Koala furniture several years ago and love the efficient space utilization it provides.  Having both my work-horses available simultaneously is a non-negotiable necessity.
So what are YOU driving?  Send me a photo of your sewing machine(s) – minimum 1mb, jpeg format – and I’ll put together a post of the favorite sewing machines of the SAQA Alaska Region.

No comments:

Post a Comment